Why Chiropractic Wellness
Wellness Chiropractic to Stay Healthy Long Term
Your Oakland Chiropractors for Chiropractic Wellness
Chiropractors living in Oakland understand the stressful challenges people are facing on many levels and can help you adapt a little better to these stresses. By improving your health with chiropractic, you can balance your body long term. Connect with us at The Shift Chiropractic in Downtown Oakland.
Understanding Chiropractic Wellness
Disease does not spontaneously happen. It takes a long list of mistakes over a long time to affect the body till a certain limit is reached and disease develops. Injuries are instant but they cause lots of long-term problems. The resulting constant pain and limited movement stress the body and mind, leading to early aging. Fortunately, the body is able to heal itself once given a chance. Chiropractic care, a drug-free and non-invasive form of healthcare, is one way of giving the body the opportunity to heal itself by restoring proper function to the nervous system. After manipulation of the spine or other parts of the body, the body can finally repair itself and the pain diminishes. The result is less pain, less stress and better health. To benefit more from chiropractic care, you have to change your lifestyle to improve your health and fitness. Recovery is a long journey so do not expect overnight transformation. Consistency in your new lifestyle and attending treatments will bring a huge change in your life.
Why The Shift is Your Chiropractic Wellness Connection
We are Dr. Ben Glass D.C. and Dr. Irina Velichko D.C., your chiropractors at The Shift. We were trained to handle difficult and complex cases by a strong lineage of healers who have dedicated their lives to the refinement of chiropractic skill and providing loving touch to others. The Shift office is right across the street from Old Oakland. Those who use the free green bus can drop off right outside our office building.
How Oakland Chiropractors Provide Chiropractic Wellness
1 - Initial Chiropractic Wellness Visit
Immediate understanding of your condition or diagnosis(already given to you by medical doctor). During your first visit we will collect information about your overall health and your medical history. We will ask you to fill out some paperwork and your answers will help us to make a diagnosis. Some of the questions may be where you feel pain, description of the pain, when the pain started, whether you were injured, what makes the pain worse, and whether you have tried other treatments. We may also ask about your diet, your activity level and whether your job requires sitting for a long time or lifting. Be sure to provide us with copies of any relevant tests such as X-rays or MRI, lab tests and a list of medications you are currently taking. If you do not have any of these things then we will order the X-rays and other tests.
We follow the questionnaire with physical examination. We have a precise touch that we use to feel for joint movement changes to identify functional imbalances that other professionals like physical therapists and primary care doctors are not trained to identify and manage.
2 - Follow up Chiropractic Wellness Visit
Once the consultation and examination are done and we have reviewed any diagnostic tests, we will determine if you are a good candidate for chiropractic care. If you are not a good candidate, we will refer you to an appropriate specialist. If you are a good candidate for chiropractic care, we create a chiropractic treatment plan that is customized to your specific needs for optimal results. It helps if you maintain consistency with scheduled appointments in order to build on previous treatments. We may make recommendations for home care as an extension of your chiropractic treatment. This can include the application of ice or heat, performing home exercises and avoiding certain positions or activities that may aggravate your condition.
Ongoing Chiropractic Wellness Experience
We have the power to help you with spine and extremity pain by moving you through the healing process and managing the specific injuries wisely with clinical awareness of individualized strategy facilitation so patients can progress and special tests if they are not progressing fast enough and we need more information.
When we deliver a proper chiropractic adjustment, we can help you to move through pain because of how well people respond to the effects of the adjustment.
We appreciate movement and see how changes in movement at the segmental level in the spine can affect full spine alignment. For example, some people have flexed forward necks that affect their lower back, or lumbar spine because it adds compression and we can correct that.
We know how to access valuable resources on research, lifestyle or chiropractic care which will help inform you and also orient you to the healing process and long-term management.
Although chiropractic care can specifically improve the biomechanics of faulty, achy joints there is much more to the management of a spine related injury which requires listening, learning from and engaging with the healing signals and functional impairments that need to be re-trained and neurologically reprogrammed.
People are often amazed at how well the chiropractic adjustments go, with surprises of how comfortable, specific and gentle the hands of our providers are.
Chiropractic Wellness Leverages Allied Health Professionals
We have a network of trained allied holistic healthcare professionals to support multiple needs, so we may refer you to one of them and work together with that professional to bring you back to health. This could include but is not limited to meditation center, yoga center, acupuncturist, massage therapist, psychologist, social worker, lawyer and anyone else we know and trust to provide quality results.
We believe that complete healing requires lifestyle changes. There are 5 foundations of health that will help you to achieve holistic health. These are spine and nervous system movement, maximizing brain health and function, micro and macro nutrients, optimizing the delivery of oxygen, nutrients, and blood through exercise, and minimizing the toxins that you put into your body. Chiropractic care will take care of spine and nervous system movement. After that we provide coaching in stress management, emotional health, breathing exercises, fitness, and other areas that help you to achieve the other four foundations of health.
Our Oakland Chiropractors Go Beyond Chiropractic Wellness
Chiropractors are not limited to treating back aches, slipped disks, stiff necks, and whiplash injuries. There are other health problems that we can help with regarding energy levels, body mind spirit detox, digital detox, posture, strength, mobility and optimizing your current situation to meet your future goals .
Chiropractic Wellness Approaches to Labels People are Given
- Migraines and tension headaches. Research shows that spinal manipulation is an effective therapy for tension headaches and headaches that begin in the neck. That is because most headaches are linked to muscle tension in the neck due to posture problems.
- Stress/Adrenal Fatigue. We work primarily with the spine because nerve impulses move through it from the brain to the rest of the body. That way we help the body to manage and process stress in a healthier way.
- Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue. Chiropractic adjustments accompanied by ischemic compression can bring pain relief to FM patients.
- Weak immune systems. Misalignment of the spine can affect the immune function in the body. Chiropractic care is the only way to detect and eliminate subluxation. Chiropractic adjustments have been found to reduce the stress on the nervous system, thereby increasing the coordinated responses of the nervous and immune systems.
- Flexibility. Any injury or disease that causes pain, inflammation and stiffness limits body flexibility and range of motion. It is natural to deliberately or unconsciously avoid using the affected body part. As a result, the muscles and joints become stiff, adhesions and scar tissue can form, and that reduces mobility even more. Fortunately, regular chiropractic care can help increase both flexibility and range of motion.
Do you have any bigger goals beyond pain and stress relief?
What do you want to accomplish this year that you are currently unable to do due to chronic pain and limited mobility? Here are some of the little-known reasons why our clients continue to come in for wellness adjustments
1. To enjoy gardening on the weekends with a full-of-energy feeling, without pain and/or concern for injury susceptibility.
2. To move confidently while practicing kung fu with the kid and not get hurt.
3. To have more energy for work, friends, family and/or hobbies.
4. To know they are growing because they are learning new things about themselves and how to better care for themselves.
5. To set a positive example for friends, spouse and/or child that they are proactively using chiropractic care for wellness.
6. To relieve stress emotionally so that their world feels a bit easier to deal with.
7. To interrupt destructive patterns of thinking for an increase in mindfulness.
8. To improve mobility so weekend golf/tennis goes smoother and they can still feel fine come Monday morning.
9. For more sensation awareness that will make them more aware of when they are off, lacking balance, tight, weak, etc.
What is your goal? Maybe you want to start your own business but pain and/or limited mobility makes it difficult. Health is the most important asset that you can ever have. With health you can work long hours to build your business and build enough wealth to leave for your children. If chronic pain is getting in the way, then you too can come to The Shift for help so that you can achieve your goal this year.
According to the American Chiropractic Association, 35.5 million Americans saw a chiropractor in 2017. Why do people need chiropractic now more than ever? We are seeing a collective rise in stress, trauma and challenges coming from new places like technology, social media, unexpected encounters, inability to cover lifestyle expenses in expensive urban communities, auto accidents, and toxic products. We are also seeing a collective decline in self-care, lifestyle balance, energy levels and community. You are also affected by these factors and you may need chiropractic care.
Learn More About Health, Healing and Wellbeing
You get access to a variety of insights, research and more by signing up to our newsletter. We won't send you any spammy nonsense and you can opt out at any time.